Hush, Hush, by Becca Fitzpatrick

“It was a smile that spelled trouble. With a promise.”

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)Title: Hush, Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Release Date: October 13, 2010
Format: Paperback, 391 pages
Source: Purchased at Borders
Rating: 1/5


When Nora and Patch are forced together as lab partners, Nora would rather fall to her death than put up with his elusive answers to her questions, his teasing, and his infuriatingly handsome face and hypnotizing eyes. It seems Patch was put on earth just to drive her crazy.

But before long, Nora's defenses start to break down as her curiosity about Patch heats up. Why does he always seem to be wherever she is and know exactly what she's thinking? How does he know what to say to both attract and repulse her? And what is up with those V-shaped scars on his chiseled back?

As their connection grows stronger, Nora's own life becomes increasingly fragile. Nora needs to decide: Is Patch the one who wants to do her harm or the one who will keep her safe? Has she fallen for one of the fallen?

First off, let me just start by saying, look at that cover! Look at it!

Now cry, because that wonderfully breathtaking, gorgeous cover is all a ruse to hide a terrible piece of literature. 

I'm sure there is nothing I can say about Nora's character that hasn't already been said, so I won't even bother. What I will say is, "Well, I don't mind the fact that he constantly treats me like dirt and openly admits to wanting to kill me, because oh-em-gee, he's so totally hot!!!

...Do I even need elaborate on that?

However, I wanted so much to like Patch's character; the male protagonist as an anti-hero is one of my favorite literary cliches, when done correctly. 

But, all interest I had in his character flew out the window when things took a turn for the creepy. He displays all the signs of an abuser; he stalks Nora constantly, invades her personal space, and acts possessive of her body and her private thoughts. Having been a close recipient of abuse in the past, Patch was a very uncomfortable character to read about. 

This breakdown of Hush, Hush dissects the sexism, abusive relationships, and rape culture running rampant throughout this book. This article has been featured in many others' reviews already, but I would strongly recommend reading this piece beforehand, if you have not yet read Hush, Hush. (Or if you vehemently disliked this book just as much as I did!) It shows how prevalent these kinds of things are in YA literature nowadays, and it saddens me that young girls are being shown that horrible things such as stalking someone while they are sleeping is perfectly acceptable.

Awful -isms aside, I couldn't even bring myself to finish this novel. It perpetuates everything I am against, and I certainly won't be reading the second one to find out if things get better. Hopefully, Fitzpatrick has taken Hush, Hush's criticisms to heart and stepped up her game, but I highly doubt it.  

1 comment

  1. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at the opening for a review.

    ReplyDelete